This Sunday, January 16, 2022, at 7:00 PM we will be holding our annual Seder TuB’Sh’vat, a special ceremony that weaves together two of our deepest passions: Jewish mystical tradition and practices, with roots in the Zohar and Safed renaissance of the 16th century, and our abiding commitment to eco-Judaism, to earth-centered spirituality and sustainable foods. This year, we are again meeting on Zoom.
Register in advance for the seder: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUoduyvrD8sHNHud5_nEMGrRNdNTIpcEF3k
Download the Tu B’shvat Siddur
Come join us as we:
- Celebrate the rabbinic holiday marking the promise of spring, the flowing of sap [שרף/seraph]through the trees and the re-awakening of the earth
- Explore our relationship in and with the web of life, erets um’lo’ah, the sheer variety of life-forms
- Explore and align ourselves with the cosmic Tree of Life, as the kabbalists called divinity: Ilan ha-sefirot, etz ha-hayyim— open to the renewed flow of energy (shefa, divine abundance)
- Meditatively move through the four stages of this seder
- the four seasons
- four worlds (key modes of consciousness): from Rooted Embodiment (Assiyah) through the World of Relation (Yetsirah) to Mind (Beria’ah) to the world of Pure Being (Atzilut)
- four cups of grape juice/wine, each with a different tinge, taste, symbolism
- explore the bounty of the orchard and forest: as we eat fruits, nuts, sip juices with heightened awareness, thanksgiving and joy (Yes, this is the holiday all vegans love!)
- Be ready to integrate songs, poetry, and sacred texts, and to explore our own relationship with trees, fruits, and nuts.
To fully participate in the seder experience, you may want to make a seder plate containing some of these fruits:
Tu B’ishvat Seder
WORLDS OF CREATION – GROUPS OF FRUIT
ASSIYAH – The Physical World
The fruits have an inedible hard shell and are the most protected. Examples include nuts (walnuts, pistachio, pecans, almonds), coconut, pomegranates
YETSIRAH – The World of Formation (heart)
The fruits have an inedible pit with some reinforcement and protection around the heart. Examples include peaches, plums, dates, olives, cherries, apricots, persimmons, and mangos.
BERIA’AH – The world of Creation (mind)
The entire fruit can be eaten. There is no need for inner or outer protection. This is the closest level to pure emanation. Examples include berries, grapes, raisins, carob, and figs.
AZILUT – The World of Emanation
This world is beyond representation. Fragrant smells provide offer a hint of possibility. Essential oils or fragrant spices such as frankincense, rose, cinnamon, and lavender.
Also, both red and white wine or red and white grape or other fruit juice.